Minnesota Insurance Continuing Education

Certificate with ribbon stating Minnesota Insurance Continuing Education and CERank logo

The State of Minnesota requires that all insurance producer license holders complete a continuing education course every two year renewal period.

Your license expiration date is the last day of your birth month, every two years, based on your original license year.

Your license’s CE requirements with one or any combination of these insurance lines will be completed by acquiring a total of 24 hours of credit, including 3 hours in ethics. As long as the subjects of your courses fall within one of the lines, this will count as your CE for all lines.

If you carry more than one of these lines, you DO NOT need to complete a multiple of the hours.

In Minnesota, you are allowed to take your continuing education courses as early as 60 days before your expiration date. If you like to put things off until the last minute (no judgment here) be sure to complete your CE at least 5 days before your license expires. This will allow time for the CE company to submit your results to the state.

We recommend completing all of your continuing education requirements with at least 30 days to spare before your renewal deadline. This will allow for time to address and solve any unforeseen issues that could arise. Murphy’s law states, “if it can happen, it will happen”, and you really don’t want to pay a late fee or risk transacting business without a license due to some small mistake.

Minnesota Insurance Continuing Education Requirements

Minnesota Life Insurance Continuing Education

24 credit hours, including 3 in ethics

Minnesota Health Insurance Continuing Education

24 credit hours, including 3 in ethics

Minnesota Property Insurance Continuing Education

24 credit hours, including 3 in ethics

Minnesota Casualty Insurance Continuing Education

24 credit hours, including 3 in ethics

Recommended CE Course

AYPO logo on blue background with eInsurance Training written below

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

How To Renew Your Minnesota Insurance License

Step 1. Complete Your Required Minnesota Insurance CE

The first step in renewing your Minnesota insurance license is by selecting a continuing education course that fulfills all of the requirements mentioned above.

Most courses should specify that they meet all of the needs before you start the course, but just be sure that you are taking everything you need before you pay for a course.

You should allow yourself about 5 days to complete your CE course, as most of them take quite a bit of time to complete. Depending on the course you use, completing the whole thing in one sitting is possible, but it may melt your brain by the time it’s over.

After completing your continuing education course, the company will report your results to the state. This usually takes between 3-5 days. Go ahead and save the completion report to your computer, to protect yourself in the unlikely event of a dispute.

You can check on the status of your CE credits using the State Based Systems Tool.

Step 2. Apply For Your Minnesota Insurance License Renewal

After your CE credits have been reported to the state, you can now apply to have your insurance license renewed.

The fee for insurance producer license renewal is $50 per LOA and $30 technology surcharge plus a small NIPR transaction fee.

Apply for your license renewal at the NIPR Minnesota site.

After you complete these steps you will begin a new renewal period and your expiration date will be set by the standards mentioned above.

Insurance Continuing Education FAQs

What if I hold multiple licenses or lines on a license?

If you hold multiple license lines (property, casualty, life, health) you will not need to complete more than one CE course to them all. These lines all fall under one “producer” license and do not increase the total amount of CE you need to take.

If, however, you have a different type of insurance license (title, travel, adjuster, etc…) then you will need to take a separate continuing education course to complete those specific requirements.

Do I have to renew a non-resident license?

If you hold a non-resident license in a state that is not your home state then the only requirement you need to stay in good standing is to keep your license active in your home state. This means there is not more CE you need to take to keep your non-resident licenses active.

Do I have to take my CE online?

No. There are companies that offer in-classroom continuing education in most states. As long as the company offering the course is accredited by the state then you can complete your requirements with them.

Most people choose to take their CE online, as they can fit it into their schedules much easier than going to a physical class, but either will do the job.

Minnesota Insurance Department Contact Information

Mailing Address:
Minnesota Commerce Department
Licensing Division
85, 7th Place East
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101

Phone Number: (651) 539-1599

Email: licensing.commerce@state.mn.us

Website: https://mn.gov/commerce/industries/insurance/

Information on this page has been gathered by a multitude of sources and was most recently updated in August 2020.

CERank may receive a commission from education companies. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are CERank’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. 

Even though efforts are made to keep this information up to date, any information on this site is not guaranteed or warranted to be correct, accurate, or up to date. CERank and its members and affiliates are not responsible for any losses, monetary or otherwise. For more information, please contact your state’s authority on insurance.